Friday, May 21, 2010

Do you like it?

Well, Ingrid, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I only regret that it has taken this long for us to introduce ourselves. Here we have been study le belle histoire del monde, we study in the same place, take the same courses, and we have never introduced ourselves. So, where are you from Ingrid?


I’m from Johnson County.


Johnson County? That is a county. Can you be more specific? I am from Kansas


I am from Olathe. You know, it is all a suburb of KC.


I suppose your right. Kind of like Topeka, except closer.


Well not really.


I heard that people say they are from Johnson County to mislead us dumb country people. I hear in Johnson county they have Emerald Castles and geese that lay golden eggs.


Oh, stop it. I came from a nice neighborhood. It used to be nicer; at least that’s how I remember it.


I know what you mean. Of course, it was kind of the opposite for me. I used to dislike my little hometown, and I did not think much of my parents’ house. I thought they were all common place. In my old age, I have come to realize that it was one of the most beautiful, tranquil places on this earth. My parents’ house was extraordinary compared to most, but it took me years to realize it.


Hah. Your old age? How old are we now again?


How old are WE?


Well, we did graduate in the same year!


Hah! The prosecution rests. For awhile I forgot my age. I couldn’t tell 22 from 25. I am 26 now. How about you?


I just turned 26. I am starting to get stressed out about it.


Really? You don’t seem stressed. Why would you be stressed?


Well, you know. Soon I will be the ‘old maid’.


You don’t look old. You still look like that beautiful girl I remember from class. I would consider you more of a lady than a maid anyway. So think of it this way, ‘soon I will be an older lady’. Well, I’m not sure that is much better, but I understand how you feel. Guys don’t have it that easy either. Look at me, single at 26, and I haven’t had a date in years, perhaps my life.


It is nice knowing that there is someone out there in a similar situation. You know you’re really a nice guy.


Thanks.


…(I wonder if she wants me to kiss her. I definitely want to, but I’ve waited this long.. It has to be right, and should not come at the cost of my morals or hers.


…(So, are you going to kiss me, or just stare into my eyes smiling all night? Well, we did just meet, I don’t want to come off too desperate.)


So, back to graduation. Why didn’t you come?


Well, I’m not sure really. You know us history types with our multiple cause existential answers.


What were some of the reasons? Were you trying to be a bad-boy or what?


Wow, okay, so you want an answer? I think I planned on there being another graduation in my future. You know another degree, graduate school or professional school, but it is hard to decide. I don’t really like begging for the money either. I know it’s not begging really, but it is hard to expect and accept gifts like that form your parents. I don’t think I fit in well amongst my peers anyway. I knew quite a few, but you know… It was a lot like my high school graduation. I bet your high school graduation was larger. I was not sure who I would be sitting by, and I pictured the only history majors being me and crazy John. Don’t get me wrong, but I like crazy John and all, but I am not sure about parading us around. You know, all of the formalities and regalia all for the completion of four years of expensive education.


Crazy John was there. I liked crazy John too. He was a little weird, I guess you could say awkward, but I knew he was smart, and I always knew I would see him in the library. I saw you quite a bit too, but you never seemed to notice me. Anyway, the history department had more than a row of graduates. It was pretty amazing that a liberal arts department would have that many graduates. The funny thing was that none of us received honors. I thought Kate would or John or you.


Well, you know the saying, ‘All men are created equal.’ I don’t think there is much since making distinctions between us since we all came to the same result.


I think I became a history major because of you. I don’t really know what I was thinking. I wanted to be a nurse or a scientist or psychologist, but something led me back to history.


Let me guess, a passing grade?


Yea


Me too. You know you would have made a bad nurse.


Tell me about it! I couldn’t pass chemistry and blood…uh.


Well I was thinking something different.


What’s that?


Well, with nurses as cute as you in those little outfits, health insurance companies would be going bankrupt left and right. Guys would have been finding ways to put themselves in the hospital for extended periods.


Oh please!


…(OH my gosh! He thinks I’m cute! Points for you, because I do love a complement. I have heard one similar to that before…)


…(I can tell by the way you smile, tuck your chin downward, raise your shoulders and bat your eyelashes that you like that.)


You know what?


What?


We could have had this conversation three and a half years ago.


Well, would it have been the same?


Probably not. I would have talked to you if you came to the party. Most people wanted to know you better, because there were a lot of mixed reviews.


Yea, well, you know how the airwaves work. I’ve been to parties before. All sorts of parties, and they usually have the same purpose and results/resluts.

Do you like it?
what is it? A begining of a story? A weird essay?





You cant just type the chunk there and expect answers..





what are we suppost to be judging?
Reply:Mmmm, who is Ingrid?.....


No comments:

Post a Comment