Saturday, November 14, 2009

Anyone re-call this old song "I tell a tale of a jealous male & a maid of sweet 16, she was blonde & dumb.....

and she lived with her mum on the fringe of Bethnal Green...............??...............??.... a rich down down to a ditty down down to a ditty ditty down down day"





It must be over 50 years old. I would love to have the full words please?

Anyone re-call this old song "I tell a tale of a jealous male %26amp; a maid of sweet 16, she was blonde %26amp; dumb.....
THE BALLAD OF BETHNAL GREEN


by


Paddy Roberts





I'll tell a tale of a jealous male and a maid of sweet sixteen


She was blond and dumb and she lived with her Mum


On the edge of Bethnal Green


She worked all week for a rich old Greek


Her old man was on the dole


And her one delight on a Friday night


Was to have a bit of rock and roll.





Chorus To my rit-fal-lah, to my itty-fal-lal


To my itty-bitty-fal-dal day.





Then one fine day in the Month of May she found her big romance


He was smart and sleek, with a scar on his cheek


And a pair of drainpipe pants


And she thought ‘with you, I could be so true,


Through all the years to come’


For she loved the gay abandoned way


He chewed his chewing-gum.





Chorus





It started well because he fell for all her girlish charms


But he had some doubt when he caught her out


In someone else’s arms


And he said, “Look here, you know my dear,


This is going a bit too far


And he went quite white and he sloshed her right


In the middle of her cha-cha-cha.





Chorus





So he went before a man of the law who said, “This will not do


I’ve had about enough of this kind of stuff


As I want from the likes of you.”


And she was peeved when he received


A longish term in clink


In a fit of pique she married the Greek


And now she lives in mink.





Chorus

lilac

No comments:

Post a Comment